Time and again, we are reminded that this society is male dominated and patriarchal in nature. What does it mean?
It means that men live in a have-it-all world. They have all the rights and privileges and they control all the power in the world. And this is how it is justified or evidence of its presence is presented:
- Men don’t have to leave their homes after getting married.
- They don’t need to adjust with another family.
- They get inheritance in ancestral property.
- Their child gets their name.
- Their name doesn’t need to change after marriage.
While all this might be true, the following is also true.
- Men need to become financially stable before getting married.
- They need to continue to remain so lifelong, which means they cannot stop working and sit at home.
- They cannot pursue their interests as it may not generate enough income for the survival of the whole family.
- Even if their wife works, they should not expect her to share the financial load, if she does it by her own choice, well and good.
- The risk of bringing a new person into their life and family wrests entirely with the man and one wrong decision can ruin his life.