Subject: Men’s Rights Activists celebrate conviction of Sanjay Dutt; miffed at talk to pardon him
Organizations fighting for men’s rights, men welfare and abuse of men under anti-male laws like Section 498A, Domestic Violence Act, rape laws, sexual harassment laws, etc., under the umbrella name of Save Indian Family (SIF), are appalled at the generosity being depicted by eminent personalities like retired Justice Markandey Katju, Manish Tewari, etc. in petitioning for pardon to be granted to Sanjay Dutt after the Honorable Supreme Court upheld his conviction.
It is pertinent to mention here that Dutt was found guilty of possessing illegal arms, also had some alleged role in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts that claimed that lives of 250 people and injured more than 750 people. After years of trials and appeals, the Honorable Supreme Court finally upheld the conviction of Sanjay Dutt establishing him as a criminal and sentencing him to 5 years of Rigorous Imprisonment. Since he has already spent 18 months in jail, he would be required to spend the balance 3.5 years behind jail.
However, as soon as the sentence was upheld, we witnessed a melee of sympathy and brouhaha of emotions and suddenly we saw eminent personalities and renowned actors of Bollywood jumping in to “save” Dutt from the punishment accorded to him for the crimes that he committed.
And just before we react to that, here are some imminent questions that need immediate and satisfactory answers:
- How just it is for the Govt. to let go a criminal convicted in a very serious case, while it does nothing for lakhs of innocent men, women and children jailed in false cases under section 498A (Dowry Law)?
- How often did Sanjay Dutt, his politician sister Priya Dutt or Bollywood speak about ending jailing of innocent people in India under 498A?
- Six young boys spent 18 months in jail in Pune in TISS False rape case. What did Sanjay Dutt, Priya Dutt (MP) and Bollywood do for such innocent young boys implicated in false cases?
- Why do innocents go to jail and convicted criminals get mercy and pardon?
- Why people are talking about Sanjay Dutt’s work and his family background, while people and media never look at families of those innocents accused falsely under Section 498A?
- Why do innocent and ordinary citizens have to hide like criminals, while convicted criminals like Sanjay Dutt roam freely?
- DMK MP Kanimozhi was jailed in Tihar Jail for 6 months. If people claim Sanjay Dutt is just stupid and he not a professional criminal and his parents did a lot for the country, then the same could have ben said for Kanimozhi as well. She also has a family and a son. Her father and her family have also done a lot for Indian people.
- Why does the society not think of amending Section 498A which has been responsible for jailing of lakhs of innocent men and their families while it is ready to pardon a convicted criminal, accused of gross crimes against humanity?
- On one hand, Aamir Khan of Bollywood spread lies on national television that men are waging a war against women, and on the other hand, for Bollywood a person like Sanjay Dutt who joined hands with those who really waged a war against the nation are not criminals? How fair is that?
- Is Bollywood turning out to be the Tinsel Town of Hypocrites?
Bollywood itself promotes so much of male hatred and glorifies the violent protector role in men; its actors have no locus standi whatsoever to talk about men, either innocent or convicted criminals. Hindi movies portray show much of violence against men, especially when the hero fights the so-called baddies. The gruesome nature of violence that is showcased on the screen, wherein the hero throws around other men like objects, creates a very bad impression on the society. It makes the society insensitive to violence against men and abuse of men.
As a result, men find no communicational space in the society and most of them end up committing suicide being exasperated and frustrated by the constant indifference and judgmental attitudes of a society that is largely influenced by the Bollywood.
Bollywood glorifies anti-male concepts like the violent protector role of men, men judging each other, men discriminating against each other, men ruining their lives behind grudge-intensive-revenges, men feeling not-man-enough for failing to protect their family and thus Bollywood contributes to a very large extent for creating anti-male atmosphere in the society which ultimately kills men. Every year 80000 men commit suicide compared to 40000 women. Will Bollywood take the responsibility for that?
Bollywood actors like those of Farhan Akhtar indulge in spreading misandry (social hatred against men). Farhan started a campaign under the title of “Men Against Rape and Discrimination (MARD)” and then, started spreading anti-male sexist language which meant that a man is a man enough only when a woman certifies him to be so.
- Why doesn’t such sexist language exist for women?
- How often is a woman asked to prove her womanhood by sacrificing her own likes, interests and aspirations?
- Why are such partisan double standards, inherently gender biased and anti-male in nature, are glorified as much needed social movements and social transformations?
- Why are men forced to such judgmental attitudes in this age of so-called gender equality?
- Why are innocent men forced to go through arduous legal trials merely because a woman complains against them?
Sanjay Dutt’s own sister Priya Dutt, who also happens to be a Congress MP, who was very vocal on the TV about having draconian anti-male laws that would facilitate a man’s arrest merely on a woman’s complaint without trial or investigation, is now scouring for support for her convicted criminal brother, who enjoyed celebrated immunity all these years and has been found guilty all the way to the Supreme Court!
Men’s Rights Organizations are very happy that an anti-male MP got her own bad karma back and are celebrating the conviction of her criminal brother.
- The Conviction order of the Honorable Supreme Court must be upheld and Sanjay Dutt must be immediately sent to jail to serve the rest of the term.
- No mercy petition in his favor should be admitted/granted.
- Bollywood actors must stop their anti-male hatred and stereotyping in advertisements, films and stop violence against men in movies. They must stop selling violence against men as entertainment.
- If the Government pardons Sanjay, then all those who were falsely arrested in Section 498A should be granted compensation atleast worth Rs. 5,00,000 (5 Lakhs) per arrest.
- The Government must pay Rs.50,00,000 (50 lakhs) for 6 innocent boys jailed in false rape case at TISS (Tata Institute of Social Sciences), Pune.
Anil Kumar (0 98451 43724) Virag (0 90083 02822) Atit Rajpara (0 98237 88013) Swarup Sarkar (0 98187 89236)